Home » Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
Located on the Penn State Behrend campus, Knowledge Park tenants are closely connected to the intellectual and physical resources of one of the most prestigious research universities in the nation. University faculty and staff members, students, and collaborators routinely work with tenants to enhance their competitive advantage through the integration of high quality and strategic engineering, scientific, and business assistance.
FACILITIES, EQUIPMENT & INSTRUMENTATION
Penn State Behrend facilities include technology-equipped classrooms; engineering, business, and scientific laboratory space; computer labs; a 160,000-square-foot Jack Burke Research and Economic Development Center (Burke Center) housing the School of Engineering and the Sam and Irene Black School of Business, including thirty-four engineering and research laboratories.
Additional detail related to specific facilities can be found at the following links:
RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER STRENGTHS AND PROGRAMS
In addition to providing world-class facilities, the business and engineering schools also provide technology development, technology transfer, and commercialization support through more than 100 faculty members and 2,000 students.
The college also provides support through a full-time innovation specialist who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACULTY & STAFF TEACHING RESEARCH AND EXPERTISE
Lists of teaching and research interests for the college’s faculty members involved in business-, engineering-, and scientific-related programs.
ENGINEERING CAPSTONE PROJECTS
All senior students in engineering and engineering technology degree programs are required to conduct team-oriented capstone projects. Each project must address an actual design or manufacturing problem that is sponsored by regional industry. The students work alongside representatives of industry to formulate and implement solutions. More than fifty student teams are available annually. Contact the School of Engineering at 814-898-6153 for further information.
CENTER & INSTITUTES
Brief descriptions and links to Web sites for the college's applied research centers and institutes.
TECHNOLOGY- AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT-RELATED DOCUMENTS
Selected University-, community-, and state-related technology development programs with which the college collaborates.
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners provides loans to assist manufacturers address issues related to research and development, technology transfer, and training.
- Economic Development Corporation of Erie County serves as the lead economic development agency for Erie County for programs and services related to land and buildings for industrial and business expansion and relocation; financing via federal, state, and local low-interest taxable and tax-exempt bond and loan programs; entrepreneurial assistance through incubator facilities; and brownfield assessment, remediation, and redevelopment for industrial uses.
- Erie Keystone Innovation Zone assists in the creation of startups, promoting innovation within existing companies, and commercializing knowledge resident at regional colleges and universities.
- Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership is the unified voice of the business community, leading the effort to identify key regional initiatives that promote economic health while providing the leadership for business attraction, retention, and expansion.
- Gannon University Small Business Development Center works confidentially with entrepreneurs in Erie, Crawford, Mercer, and Warren counties to help their businesses maintain a competitive edge providing services related to accounting, banking, business planning, entrepreneurship, environmental management, financial analysis, international business, marketing and advertising, market planning and research, product development, product procurement, research, and strategic planning.
- Mercyhurst E-commerce Institute is an extension of the Mercyhurst College service learning program and the college’s Mathematics and Computer Systems department and seeks to give businesses and service organizations a greater and enhanced presence on the Web.
- Mercyhurst College Institute for Intelligence Studies is a center of excellence which promotes the study of intelligence in higher education settings, while seeking to identify, promote, and employ best practices in the study and application of intelligence studies throughout its various disciplines – national security, law enforcement, business, and academia.
- Northwest Pennsylvania Industrial Resource Center, Inc. works with manufacturers in a thirteen-county region of northwest PA to help them compete in a constantly changing marketplace through provision of professional business advice; and assistance with workforce development, information technology, human resources, and new product development.
- Pennsylvania Technical Assistance Program (PENNTAP) is an industrial technology extension partnership that focuses on strengthening Pennsylvania’s economy by providing scientific and technological support to business and industry, primarily focusing on improving the competitiveness of small- and medium-sized manufacturing companies.
- The Technology Council of Northwest PA is a membership organization established to keep the knowledge workforce abreast of emerging technology and to create an environment that fosters innovation and recruitment of the knowledge worker.