Frequently Asked Questions


  1. I don't want to take "ESL" classes because they mean I'm not as capable as other students or because I don't want "ESL" to appear on my transcript. What should I do?
    Here, and at other universities, "ESL" is used only as a code to designate courses for multilingual learners, just as CHEM refers to Chemistry courses or ECON refers to economics courses. Course content in ESL-designated courses is the same as ENGL courses, with the extra benefit of working with expert faculty to help guide you. The courses are completely equivalent to corresponding ENGL courses.
  2. I graduated from a high school in the United States. Why do I have to study "ESL" now?
    Even though you have lived and studied in the United States for some time, academic English can be difficult to master but is essential for your success in university and in the workplace. Also, as mentioned above, at the university-level, "ESL" is used only as a course designation for some courses focused for multicultural learners and has no relation to what you may know as ESL studies from high school.